Let Me Start With a Big Thanks!!
Last month, I asked you to complete a survey and over 400 of you responded! Thanks so very much!
I have so many ideas swirling around in my brain and so many new things I want to try that I really needed to get clarity by asking YOU to answer some questions that would help me better serve you in 2016 and beyond.
I was so excited to read your comments each morning when I woke...it was the first thing I did.
I not only gained the information I was hoping for, but I also received great insight into who you are and what you need help with and I love this!! It was so much more than I expected.
I also want to say thanks for all the super sweet, kind comments about me personally as well about my work. I loved seeing that some of you have followed me for over ten years!
The answer to the question: "If we had a coffee date for an hour, what would you like to ask me?" was the most enlightening.
First, I am a tea drinker so I would be having a hot Chai tea (thanks for asking Leida). I loved reading all the comments but this question really shed light on the things that are of interest to you!
Let me highlight the top ten for you:
1. Tell me about YOU: How did you get started in art? Who are you? What is your story? Tell me about your family, your fears, joys, etc. Have you always enjoyed art? What were you like as a child?
2. Inspiration: How do you stay inspired? Where do you get your inspiration? What sparks your ideas? How do you break creative blocks? What keeps you excited?
3. Color: How do you choose which colors to use and not make a muddy mess? What are your favorite colors and how do you combine them? How do you work with so many colors? Have you always used so many colors?
4. How do I get started...teaching on-line, starting a blog, creating and managing an online business, making online videos, how can I start a business, make products from my art, how do you consistently make money from your art and so many more questions related to this topic.
5. Motivation: How do you keep up your motivation? Have you ever felt like quitting? How do keep interested?
6. Organization: How do you stay organized? How do you organize your supplies and tools?
7. Tools and Supplies: What are your favorite tools? What have you not tried that you want to try?
8. Time Management: How do you manage your time with all the tech stuff and business and sustain your creativity? How do you manage your time with work and family? How do you keep up with it all and still remain creative? How do you find time to create?
9. Fear and Confidence: How do you move beyond the inner critic? Are you ever fearful or scared? Do you ever feel like you aren't good enough or have enough talent?
Related Post Here -->> How Fear Keeps Me From Creating
10. Style: How did you find your style? How can I find my style?
It appears that the most respondents are interested in Mixed Media and Art Journaling with Painting close behind. Based on these results, I will certainly continue sharing my love of mixed media and art journaling. I am excited to see there is an interest in painting because I just so happen to have a workshop in the "works" for that!
The responses to this question are pretty consistent with the one about areas of art/craft that are most enjoyed. I wanted to throw in some topics not related to art. If you don't already know, I am a bit of a tech geek and love teaching others about systems, platforms and other cool techie things. While the numbers were not high in those categories, I still see an interest and received many questions about these topics. I am brainstorming ways to present my ideas and this information has been most helpful.
Awesome!! Most of you have taken an online workshop with me and thanks so much! I also got some wonderful feedback in the comments.
This made me super happy! I have researched platforms, testing new equipment and preparing to do live chats/webinars. I think it would be great to have scheduled live chats within my classrooms, giving you an opportunity to chat with me live and ask questions. Plus, it will be just plain fun!
This one was very insightful. Coming up with ideas is a challenge but lack of confidence and motivation came in a close second. I plan to reflect on the idea of motivation and help with more confidence building ideas in the future. In the meantime see my Related Post Here --> How Fear Keeps Me From Creating.
I love creating video tutorials and workshops so seeing these results made me happy, too! I plan to expand my download offerings (more on that soon). I was hoping the audio/podcasting category would be higher but I won't get discouraged. I recently discovered podcasts and I can't get enough of them.
Most respondents do not have an active blog, but comments indicated many of you want to learn how to start one but need guidance and more information.
Well, you like consuming content in video form, so now we just need to get you to fall in love with Periscope. It is on my radar for offering quick bits of digestible content. But, with the release of Facebook Live, which I am pretty excited about, that might be a better option.
Most respondents do not run a creative business but many comments indicated that there are those of you who want to but don't know where to start. Much like blogging, you don't have the tools you need now. Tune in for something I am working on related to this very subject.
Didn't Have Time to Complete the Survey?
If you did not have time to go through the survey, but you would like to give me your thoughts, just leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you...thanks!
I am listening and good things are in the works!
You are appreciated,